PROLOGUE

Please bear the errors. I rarely edit the articles. Thanks!

S'il vous plaît garder les erreurs. J'ai rarement modifier mes articles. Merci!

Bitte beachten Sie die Fehler. Ich habe selten meine Artikel zu bearbeiten. Vielen Dank!

Por favor, tenga los errores. No tengo mucho tiempo limpiar a los artículos. Gracias!

Monday, June 27, 2011

Dress Up in the Church

I am glad to read Fr. Bel San Luis, SVD writing about the weight or importance of the Mass which is the most central form of worship for Catholics.

During Mass, the word of the Lord is proclaimed while at the consecration, the bread and wine are transubstantiated into the body and blood of Christ. The Lord of lords is truly there in body and spirit, same as the one whom Thomas declared “My Lord and my God” and Peter professed, “Lord, where do we go? You have the words of eternal life.”

Catholics know that. Call me whatever you want but I am scandalized, especially this summer, seeing Mass goers dressed as if they are going to a beach resort or to a mall --- some chewing gums.

Isn’t it that when you meet one with high social or government stature in his house, you have to dress up? That when you are in that house, you must observe decorum?

The Lord understands poverty for He once said that the poor are always in our midst. One is not required to wear a barong or a gown but won’t you see to it that you wear something good out of reverence to the infinitely most powerful One?

Be attentive and follow the Mass proceedings. Join in praying and in singing --- you don’t have to have the voice of Rico Puno or Pilita Corales. And yes, be a “snub” inside the church. You are there to pray and be intimate with your Maker and not to gossip and trade stories. That can be done before or after the Mass and elsewhere.

We are accustomed in praying the rosary, lighting a votive candle or praying our novena during Mass. While the actions are good and recommended, again, those can be done before or after the Mass and not during the Mass.

I remember Sundays when men were in their barong, polo barong or coat and tie while the women wore dress and a veil. At that time when I was young, I did not understand why some were in formal attire in the church. My Mom said that it is out of respect to the Lord whom we receive during communion.

From then on, on Saturday afternoons, I used to wash, dry and iron my Sunday attire.

I still do that today.

No comments:

Post a Comment