PROLOGUE

Please bear the errors. I rarely edit the articles. Thanks!

S'il vous plaît garder les erreurs. J'ai rarement modifier mes articles. Merci!

Bitte beachten Sie die Fehler. Ich habe selten meine Artikel zu bearbeiten. Vielen Dank!

Por favor, tenga los errores. No tengo mucho tiempo limpiar a los artículos. Gracias!

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My Home-Built Computer

Phew! Finally, I have a new computer and I am very proud to say that I built it. And you know what? I almost gave up but persistence and belief in one’s self paid the price.

My good old computer which is almost a decade old is on its last days and I will surely miss it and its XP Professional OS.

With all the complexities and thoroughness in analyzing the compatibilities of the innards, researching a lot, included; I never thought that I could have the best computer in the world. What came to my mind that I became a pseudo-tech?

I have a very good friend who invited me to his place and have rounds of beer. What caught my eyes in the receiving room is a strange-looking computer bearing no brand name. Eager to know the details, I asked what a heck is it and where did he buy it. He said that he assembled it. He opened the side panel and showed me one by one its components which at that time, I did not understand anything. I just mumbled  "ganun ba?" (Is that so?)

That was years ago.

As time went on, in jest I ask if I can also build my own and his unbelievable response was “It’s easy, you can do it.”

Spending two to three hours a day for two weeks researching on how to build a computer, I started buying the following:

1. ATX Full Tower
2. Intel Core 2 Quad CPU @ 2.40 Ghz
3. 4 GB RAM @ 2.45 Ghz
4. Heatsink
5. 1GB  HD Video Card
6. 7.1 HD Sound card
7. DVD ROM
8. DVD Player
9. 500 GB HDD
10.600 GB HDD
11.1TB HDD
12. Card Reader
13. 512 MB Video Card (everyday use)
14. Abit Mobo
15. 500 watts PSU
16. 4 GB DDR RAM
17. 5.1 Sound Card (for everyday use)

(I need a lot of  HDD room for my music, photography, video and writing needs.)

When all of the parts were placed, I turned on the unit and voila! It looked perfect until I sweated in setting my BIOS which to my mind is a critical part. Then I installed my favorite OS Windows XP. So far, everything went good.

Problem only arose when I was not able to connect to the internet. For almost half a day, I could not figure out how and why. At that time, I almost raised the white flag and looked for the help of the professionals but why should I pay an exorbitant fee when I knew that I was almost there?

I took a lunch break to rest my already-exhausted brain. Going back to my work place, I could not really find out what is wrong.

I turned on my old and turtle-pace computer patiently to find the answer on how to connect the newly assembled computer to the internet.

And the answer?

I should have installed the CD drive of the motherboard.

The solution I missed is simple but excitement sometimes weakens mental capabilities.

Well, I had a hard time connecting a labyrinth of wires. Thanks for the help of my magnifying glass and flashlight. It was easier to find “places”.

As of now, my new computer I call INVICTUS is in perfect condition although I know that I am not yet totally done with it in improving where improvements are possible.

I intend to build another for my daughter sometime in the not so distant future.

Tip: If you intend to build your computer, research a lot and take note of the numerous compatibilities. Don’t be intimidated in building it. Just be precise and follow all the rules.

1 comment:

  1. Comments are welcome. Technical questions are also welcome. My honest to goodness self-rated "tech level" from 1 to 5 range is 4 although I still have to learn a lot.

    ReplyDelete