PROLOGUE

Please bear the errors. I rarely edit the articles. Thanks!

S'il vous plaît garder les erreurs. J'ai rarement modifier mes articles. Merci!

Bitte beachten Sie die Fehler. Ich habe selten meine Artikel zu bearbeiten. Vielen Dank!

Por favor, tenga los errores. No tengo mucho tiempo limpiar a los artículos. Gracias!

Friday, September 10, 2010

St. Jude, The Saint of the Impossible

Devout Filipino Catholics have strong attachment and devotions to the saints that most if not all baptized in my generation are named after a saint. Aside from the perennial novenas in honor of the patron saint of towns or villages, when in need, any believer can seek for the intercession of the saints.

A Protestant friend once asked me why Catholics need the saints when they can pray directly to God. I said that he is absolutely correct that we can set our prayers directly to God but after a brief pause, I wondered “Have you asked your loved ones to pray for you or your loved ones asking you to pray for them?” Without squandering a minute he proudly said, “Oh, yes; that’s normal and nothing wrong with that.”

I had no intention to engage in a debate although I explained that saints were once human like us and some were even hardcore sinners like Saul, Augustine and Mary Magdalene. “From the Catholic standpoint,” I stressed, “they lived a heroic life in living the teachings of Christ which are found in the Gospels. In the case of the saints,” I mentioned, “after their conversion, they fearlessly proclaimed the Gospel. Most of the saints died a terrible death like Stephen, John the Baptist, St. Philomena and St. Jude among others. We, Catholics believe that they are now with God whom they can see through beatific vision. And if it is all right to ask someone on earth to pray for us, would it not be even better if we ask someone who is now in heaven enjoying God’s company?”

My friend was not ready for his answer.

I write this entry as my humble way of thanking St. Jude, one of my favorite saints. Not much is said about him in the Scriptures but he is the cousin and friend of Jesus. Writers believe that they were neighbors and playmates as boys. With these, many believe, me included, that his intercession is powerful.

For years, everyday, I have been asking him to intercede for my personal intentions and many times that I went (and still go) to his shrine by foot. I spent countless moments asking for his help. I know that he is the last resort one can go to when everything possible runs short. He is the saint of the impossible.

Unexpectedly on the 18th of August, three days after Mary’s Assumption, it was difficult for me to believe that what was impossible for years was unfolding. Part of the Gospel reading on that day is “Call the laborers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last, up to the first.” (See Matthew 20: 1 – 16). I interpreted that as “after laboring (praying) for years, I was called to get my wages viz., answer of my prayers.

Lately, I went back to the shrine of St. Jude by foot again. In front of his statue, I was in tears asking him  "How could I possibly thank you?” I remember that I have this blog. I said that I thank him here.

To St Jude, a beloved saint, friend of all who are in need and all who invoke his aid, you know how thankful I am to you but may I fondly ask for more of your intercession in the days ahead in all of my needs and the needs of my family. Thank you, thank you and thank you!

PRAYER TO ST. JUDE
 
"St. Jude, glorious apostle, faithful servant and friend of Jesus, the name of the traitor has caused you to be forgotten by many, but the true Church invokes you universally as the Patron of things despaired of. Pray for me, who am so miserable; pray for me, that I may finally receive the consolations and the succor of Heaven in all my necessities, tribulations, and sufferings, particularly (Mention here your petition.), and that I may bless God with the elect throughout eternity."

St. Jude, Apostle of the Word of God, pray for us.
St. Jude, follower of the Son of God, pray for us.
St. Jude, preacher of the love of God, pray for us.
St. Jude intercessor before God, pray for us.
St. Jude, friend of all in need, pray for us.
St. Jude, pray for us and for all who invoke your aid.

************
Although I did not endorse this entry to be spread, I understand that some readers have sent this "good news" to their friends and loved ones. May St. Jude intercede for all your prayers and petitions. This entry  must not be altered into a "chain letter" with additional "do this for a number of 'x' days, etc and on the 'x' day, your petitions will be answered".

St. Jude's love and affection is not conditional and no matter who we are, our friend and powerful intercessor Jude is always ready to help not only when we reach the end of the line and against the wall but any time we need his powerful intercession for the mercy and love of his cousin, Jesus.

If you have stories when St. Jude helped you, I promise to post them here.

God bless you all . 

 COR INVICTUS

_______________
Suggested Reading:
Jude: A Pilgrimage to the Saint of Last Resort
By Liz Trotta. San Francisco: Harper, 1998.

No comments:

Post a Comment